The HackRVA tricopter build group was a great learning experience. The build took place over three weekends and is still going on as members tweak their copters. Much soldering, wiring, testing, and crashing occurred!
We’ve seen multiple tri-copters flying around the space thanks to Andy’s original kit and group leadership. He designed this build with cost in mind as well as ease of making. This has been an incredible experience for those looking to break into flight. Keep an eye out for future multi-copter and robot builds on our meetup and mailing list.
Documentation here. More pics here.
Laser cut acrylic logo edge-lit by LEDs.
Our laser is cutting like a champ! Go here to learn more about the long road to laserdom as HackRVA members put in over a year of work to bring this DIY project to life.
2014 was a great year at HackRVA. Here’s a list of some things that happened!
– Documented almost 70 creations on our project blog
– Crowdfunded, installed, and trained for CNC Router
– Completed laser build (ok, last little bit)
– Educated young Makers through Maker Guild, Maker Camp, and Lego Leauge
– End-to-end designed, produced, and delivered 350 boards for RVAsec
– Taught several hundred people to solder at RVA Maker Fest
– Upgraded our fab lab with additional tools, organization, and mobility
– Assisted Indie Lab RVA in establishing an open science initiative
– Played epic games of Cards Against Humanity
– Crashed a lot of Artemis ships with custom lighting.
– Contributed handmade goods to Makers in the Community program
– Started monthly workshops for teaching people new things:
(Solder, Electronics, Wearables, CAD, Blender, Arduino, 3D Printing)
– So many other things that they can’t all be listed (photos)!
– Established HackRVA as a non-profit
– Improved giving tours to potential new members
– Created a new website
– Revamped the wiki. (a thousand or so wiki edits )
– Created more organization around volunteering
– Improved our membership payment experience
– Reached our first phase budget goals ahead of schedule
– Reached and exceeded member target goal of 80 members
– Created donation infrastructure and opportunities
– Established clearer membership guidelines
– Improved/Simplified network infrastructure
– Installed a fabulous door
– Created a Digital Design Station
Some Goals for 2015:
– More projects!
– Enter an Instructables contest as a group
– Create a nicely documented open build project
– Get a project on Hack-a-Day (done)
– Continue with Equipment Upgrades
– Continue with Monthly Workshops
– Build Group Projects
– More of what happened in 2014!
3D Printer Taken Down to Essence
We had a party to take apart old tech in the name learning.
Taking things apart is a great way to examine the objects in our daily lives. This fun activity also grows your maker insight as you learn about components, assembly, and materials.
To keep up with great events like this, join the HackRVA Meetup Group.